The Heart and Stroke Foundation is dedicated to creating more survivors.
Over the last 60 years, we’ve helped reduce the rate of death from cardiovascular disease by 75 per cent. There is still work to be done. Heart disease and stroke remain leading causes of death and hospitalization in Canada.
Here are the facts:
- More than 1.6 million Canadians are living with the effects of heart disease and stroke.
- 9 in 10 Canadians have at least one risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
- Each year, there are more than 60,000 visits to the emergency department for stroke, many of which are preventable with a healthy lifestyle.
WHERE DO FUNDRAISING DOLLARS GO?
The Heart and Stroke Foundation:
- Invested $38 million in life-saving heart disease and stroke research in 2013, supporting nearly 1,500 researchers across Canada.
- Placed 6,500 life-saving automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in communities across Canada to increase someone’s chance of surviving cardiac arrest.
- Funded the development of life-saving treatments that created 165,000 survivors last year.