- Canvass in the early evening on weekdays and during the day on weekends - as these are the times that your neighbours are most likely to be at home.
- Begin in early February so that you have plenty of time to revisit people you don't find at home on your first visit.
- Keep track of homes where no one was home and try to return at least one more time to ask for a donation. If there is no answer on your second visit, leave behind the Door Hanger. (Door Hanger availability varies by Province).
- This is a heart shaped piece that canvassers can hang on the residents' door handle, mailbox, or railing that contains a message to donate online.
- Write your name clearly in the white box provided on each door hanger. Please ensure you are registered as an online canvasser before distributing your heart-shaped door hangers.
- The door hanger will prompt your neighbour to visit heartandstroke.ca/give. As a registered online canvasser, your neighbour will be able to help you achieve your fundraising goal by donating directly to your personal Heart and Stroke Foundation donation web page.
- After you have completed your route, visiting each home twice, remaining Door Hangers can also be distributed to your friends, family and colleagues, in order to drive online funds directly to your donation page.
- Raise $500 or more and become a Gold Heart Canvasser! You’ll be recognized for your accomplishment by receiving your own gold heart lapel pin, and you'll be entered into a 2014 contest draw for amazing prizes! See here for full contest details.
*Both kit return and achievement of $500 fundraising level must be complete by March 31, 2014
- Hand out all of the brochures - Let your neighbours know, whether or not they made a donation, that they can learn more about our healthy living e-tools detailed in the Heart Month Brochure.
- Be sure to thank everybody for donating and try not to feel disheartened if people choose not to donate. Either way, you're performing an important task.
- Canvassing should be a fun and social experience so consider taking a friend or family member along with you. It's a great way to teach your children about volunteerism and community involvement.
- Keep your kit with you all the time - you never know when you'll run in to one of your neighbours. Also consider canvassing at your work-place (please get permission first).
- RETURN YOUR KIT AND DONATIONS
Once you have finished canvassing:
- Count all donations and place them inside the money envelope.
- Fill in the required information on the front of the money envelope.
- Return your kit, money envelope, receipt book and volunteer button to your Captain or local Heart and Stroke Foundation office before the end of March (or as per the instruction via your Leadership Volunteer). Please don’t throw away your kit or receipt book (CRA regulations requires that the Heart and Stroke Foundation collect all receipt books at the end of the campaign).
- Ask your Captain or a Heart and Stroke Foundation staff if there is a Wrap Up Celebration in your area.